I'd rather be with my family than Blog!

I'd rather be with my family than Blog!
"Yeah, we're bad!" (Holly, Katie, Donna, Randy and Dustin at Epcot)

Monday, September 27, 2010

Twenty Two Minutes and Three Seconds of Fame

Yes, I'm well aware of the Andy Warhol prediction (and now overused phrase) that in the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes (first stated in 1968, and then reiterated by Mr. Warhol again in 1979). And I'm telling you, with Reality TV, American Idol, YouTube, Twitter and who-knows-what next, it's become eerily accurate. At any rate, maybe by the time this blog is complete, you can figure out my math (and where the extra seven minutes and three seconds came from).

Just call me a geek. I like numbers. I'm good with them; and math comes easy to me. Remember a phone number? Easy. Algebra? You bet! Excel spread sheets? Bring 'em on. Numbers allow us to quantify, measure and compare things. Numbers are objective; how we analyze them is subjective. But this blog isn't about numbers...necessarily. But it will stay true to the 'randym thoughts' title; so get ready for a 'number' of them!

My wife and I recently went to see the movie Heaven's Rain. It's a great movie, that accurately and factually tells the true story of an Oklahoma pastor and his family's home invasion in October 1979 (they weren't really called home invasions back then; that term didn't really catch on until about 1995, but that indeed was what it was). I highly recommend the movie. It's certainly a different movie than Fireproof, but every bit as relevant to the concept of 'forgiveness' as any movie you'll see. Since it happened here in the Bible Belt, it is especially engaging. In addition to that, my family attended Putnam City Baptist Church (in 1972) when this pastor, Richard Douglas, was there so I was even more intrigued. (In October of '79 I was in Fresno, California playing rock-n-roll. Back then, before the Internet, news coverage of this in the 'Valley' was scarce, so my first hand knowledge of the crime was limited. I do remember my mom calling to tell me about it on the phone). But to be honest, my main reason to go see the film was to see if I was going to be in it.





You see, I spent a day in McAlester earlier this year (a very COLD day as I recall) playing the part of a newspaper reporter, covering the execution of Steven Hatch (as an extra, mind you).  But I was in three scenes.  Three very important scenes I thought.  I'll save you the boring details, but the first two scenes only appeared on the cutting room floor.  The final scene, where we have left the execution chamber, and are taking the LONG walk across the prison courtyard remained.  The scene opens with about 3 seconds of an eerie full moon next to a prison guard tower (see pic above).  And then (drum roll), my three seconds of fame; a very abbreviated walk into infamy.  If you see the movie (and you should), focus on the moon!  When it fades out, I burst upon the scene.  (Alright, the honesty just exited stage left.)  The truth is, I totally missed it the first time I watched it. Luckily, I snuck my Flip into the theatre, and preserved the moment, and I do mean moment, for y'all to see.  Notice the guy in the middle with his hand out...
Raise your hand, Randy, so everyone can see which one you are!

Coincidentally, as Heaven's Rain ends its run in Oklahoma City (on the 30th), Whittern's Reign (aka: Family Feud) starts its run.  If my sources are correct, October 4th at 1:00 p.m. you'll be able to see the Whit Family in all their glory...twenty two minutes of fame!  You see, one of the things the producer (Gaby - see her in the pic) mentioned when we were getting our pre-game pep talk and instructions, was that they had to cram a whole show, including all of Steve Harvey's antics into just 22 minutes. 


Executive Producer, Gaby talks to the Whittern Family before the show


And although we're obviously not in ALL 22 minutes of the show, the Whitterns vs the Wilsons was a heavy weight fight; four rounds of action with both families duking it out for camera time.  The Wilsons were the first family out of the chute that day (playing a returning champ) for a reason.  They were a flamboyant, outgoing family, and by the time we got to them, they were out for their third win (I had the feeling that none of the other families wanted to play them, either).  It's actually been kind of interesting, because they've already shown the Wilson's first show, where they beat a really strong opponent, The Farwell Family (going for THEIR third win).  It was a really funny show, so I'm not surprised they snuck it in early.  Be watching for their second show, when they take on the family with Shamus, the ballroom dance instructor.  It's a hoot.

One of the things I've noticed, much like in the movies, editing has a significant impact on the final product.  For instance, each show we saw taped, began with the traditional 'family introductions' (usually made by the family captain). So far, I've yet to see one of these make the show.  And I can understand why.  How many times do we want to hear the phrase 'my lovely wife' or 'my crazy cousin'?  Let's leave the comedy to the professional (Steve Harvey) so we can get to the 'stupid answers' as fast as we can. 



 After all, the clock's rolling, and we only have 22 minutes to spare.  Truth is, they switched our order right before we went on, and I accidentally introduced Holly as 'my sister' (instead of as 'her sister' referencing Katie).  I've introduced hundreds of singers and entertainers in over 20 years as an MC at various shows and Oprys, so it's something I almost do for a living...and I still had some 'duh' moments.  So I'm glad the intros are gone.

The Feud is a great vehicle for Steve Harvey and although it is still very much about the families and their personalities (and their answers), just watching Steve is worth tuning in for. Every show I've watched (and I've seen about 25 of them so far) has been entertaining and funny.  Hands down, it has become the best game show on TV.

Fame itself is fleeting. I see it every time I mention an artist or actor from the 70s (or the 60s) when my kids are around. Will my grandkids know who 'Farrah' was? How about Rowan and Martin, Jan and Dean, Chad and Jeremy? I grew up listening to Dean Martin on my mom's stereo. One of the first albums I listened to was King Creole. I went to an Elvis Extravaganza at the State Fair on Tuesday night to see a good friend of mine, Rich Vickers do his ETA (Elvis Tribute Artist) performance (he was superb, by the way). Elvis is alive and well because of these types of events, but the others I mentioned are not so lucky (and not so famous).

It seems like the way you DIE has a great effect on your fame...
                                   ...when it should be the way that you lived.

People also confuse 'fame' with 'success'. You can be famous, for good and bad reasons...and even the good reasons don't usually translate into making a living at it. If fame is fleeting, success from that fame is even harder to hang on to. Think of the unhappy child stars. Think of the college athletes who didn't go pro (or tried to, but couldn't). A life can't be judged on how famous it was (or wasn't). 

There seems to be a buzzword about making Jesus famous.  Has there been anyone MORE famous, MORE sustaining than Jesus Christ?  I don't feel the need to make Jesus famous...just important...in my own life.  The rest will take care of itself.  It is quickly apparent what is important in people's lives.  If Christ isn't important in my life, then I won't be much of a PR guy for Him.

Fame seems to be more of a selfish thing...an earthly thing.  In a generation or two, the people we consider famous now, will barely be remembered.  Maybe a history book or two will chronicle their place in history; but the more history we have, even that club becomes more and more exclusive.  Outside of Oklahoma, the Murrah bombing is about two generations away from being nearly forgotten.  Truth is, I can't really remember my great-grandparents.  Fast forward three generations; who will remember you? I loved my mom.  I have great and fond memories of her (notice I've mentioned her several times in this blog).  But my grandkids didn't know her. They certainly won't remember her.

James 4:14  Whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

Your 15 minutes of fame (when and if it comes) won't change anything.  It won't have any real or lasting effect on your life one way or the other.  Nor will my twenty two minutes and three seconds of fame.  And what money you make off of it (if any) will vanish like the million or so dollars most of us will actually earn in our lifetimes (you do the math...$35,000 a year for 30 years).  But what I do about Jesus...that's another thing entirely.  I believe that will have eternal significance.  At a minimum, being a Christian has given my life meaning and my faith has sustained me.  Fame?  You can keep all twenty one minutes and thirty-eight seconds of it.

Where'd the rest go, you ask?  You do the math...
________________________________________________________

The captain of the Wilson Family, Secily Wilson was quite a lady.  She and Donna struck up a quick friendship in the lady's room (Donna let Secily borrow her mirror).  She was great TV.  Check her out on the web!   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment