I'd rather be with my family than Blog!

I'd rather be with my family than Blog!
"Yeah, we're bad!" (Holly, Katie, Donna, Randy and Dustin at Epcot)

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

DEATH AND 'FACTS IS' (Part Two)

This whole Blog was not meant to be about vacations; but about the permanent vacation, aka: death.  As a worship leader and default pianist for our church, I play and/or sing at a lot of funerals.  Most have been dear saints who were at the end of long, mostly productive lives (to my knowledge, anyway), so tears of grief were mixed with those of joy and relief.

But there have also been some folks die quite unexpectedly recently (technically before 'their time', as 'they' say).  A couple of them were riding motorcycles and that in itself gave me reason to reflect.  A pretty good friend of mine (not a 'BFF', but a good buddy) named Doug Jones died the final day of my sophomore year at Muskogee Highschool while leaving school. It was a sad ending to what is normally a pretty happy day ("School's out, school's out..."). He was a guy that I went to both school and church with; and he was widely hailed as the 'toughest guy in school'. You never expect one of your highschool classmates to die...but especially not one as tough and rugged as Doug. He was one of those Timex guys, that could take a licking (and keep on ticking). I observed a couple of his playground fights; and afterwards was always glad that he was my friend (and not my enemy).

Most of us have experienced that kind of death at least once in our life.  Think about some of yours for a moment; when you had a schoolmate or someone about your age die suddenly; or even just some kid who lived down the street who died needlessly while going about his or her normal, everyday routine...for the last time.  I'm not speaking about that group that lives 80 plus years, and dies after a long illness or extended nursing home stay, as sad though as that can be.  I'm referring to the unexpected news; that interruption of a life that seemingly would go on and on and on. Doug Jones. Michael Freeburg. Trevor Roberts. Diane Smith. James McLish.  Truthfully, the longer I sit here and think, the more names that come to mind.  Most of them didn't get to marry or to have kids.  They didn't get to worry with bills and mortgages or find themselves without a job and struggling to make ends meet.  They didn't see the Murrah building blow up or the Twin Towers fall.  They didn't get crows feet and worry lines.  They didn't lose their hair and their looks.  They didn't get to retire.  They didn't get to live...at least, not very long.  And not as long as you or I have.

But you see...that's what living is; lots of good...lots of bad...lots of routine; for who knows how long. Too often the bad can overshadow the good and the routine can overtake it all. I stop and realize that I don't even know what my dad's little brother's first name was. Fact is, I don't know the names of people in your lives that were unexpectedly taken. All any of us have right now, besides a houseful of 'things', is RIGHT NOW; a life that was extended longer than several others that we came in contact with. It doesn't make us more valuable or 'special' because we're still among the living; it doesn't even mean that we have a higher calling or a worthwhile purpose that they didn't have. It just means we're still here. The fact is we don't know 'why'.  We don't know 'why not'. The fact is most of us won't take time to sit and reflect on it; or even to put it down in a Blog (or to divide up our houseful of 'things' in a 'will'). I can also tell you that I don't know if that's good, bad, routine or somewhere in between! If the place they are in, is indeed a 'better place', then maybe the joke's on those of us still here on earth.

I always tried to encourage my kids to enjoy the 'now'. I warned them that when you got to junior high, you'd wish you were still in grade school (but wanting to hurry up and drive). When you got to highschool, you were wishing you were back in junior high (but wishing you didn't have a curfew).  When you got to college, you realized how easy you had it in highschool (but you couldn't wait to get out and get your own job).  Too much time spent pining for the good old days, yet wanting the next milestone to hurry up and arrive.  Sigh!  But it should make us all stop...and appreciate our life; the one we have TODAY. It makes me thankful; not just to be alive, but thankful for those who, although they perhaps did die 'before their time', managed to touch my life in the process.

So part of me thinks, "I've got so much to do. Put the lid down and step away from the laptop!"  But here I am, typing away.  "Oh look! The sun's finally out." Get off the computer; and DON'T get on Facebook.  But here I sit, still typing.  When we tally it all up, maybe we've WASTED more time (and more key strokes) than the aforementioned folks actually lived (or typed).  Hopefully that's not true; but let's all at least resolve to try and quit wasting time; or at least as MUCH time (in their honor!).

Yes, we're lucky (blessed) to be alive. I believe I've been blessed by the good AND the bad things of life. We'd be so boring if we didn't lose sometimes.  We'd become way too self-reliant if we didn't have to call on others (especially God) to get us through the tough times. But with that being said, I do want to focus on the 'good' things in my life and choose to joyfully live (and acknowledge the gift of) each day.  To that end, you probably won't see me post statuses, tweets or blogs about the 'routine or the in-between'...like I said, I don't want to focus on that.  I may even choose to blog less...but hopefully live more; so that when I do blog, you'll be glad you invested your time to read it.  While you're at it, read Psalm 51 which includes this verse:

Psalm 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.

Just for fun, go to my Red Letter Day CD and listen to Can't Take My Joy Away! It's a good five-minute aerobic tune about holding onto your joy (actually it's a three minute song with a two minute jam!).  So, hit play...then start dancing (think 'Snoopy Dance')!  Let it roll while you work around the house, clean in the kitchen or wrestle with your kids (or your spouse). Value today. Pursue joy! Then hold onto it (for dear life!).

...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things. Philippians 4:8

Don't debate them.  Don't over-analyze them.  Just meditate on them.  Be content.  BE HAPPY!  You're alive!  Enjoy the fruits of the spirit.  I'm particularly partial to these: patience, kindness, gentleness and self control.

So, exercising my 'self control', I'm going to now stop typi

No comments:

Post a Comment