I'd rather be with my family than Blog!

I'd rather be with my family than Blog!
"Yeah, we're bad!" (Holly, Katie, Donna, Randy and Dustin at Epcot)

Thursday, September 1, 2011

The Show Must Go On

My mind tends to wander. That was one of the reasons behind naming this Blog, 'Randym Thoughts'. I wanted to be able to bounce around from topic to topic, from thought to thought, with the barest of connections. In literacy, it's called 'stream of consciousness' writing; a 'free association' of ideas, much like our thoughts tend to ramble; here and there; to and fro; very randomly! So let's meander!!

This first thought is not so random, because it has totally affected my life for the last few weeks (although the action that caused it was random). It took over 30 years, but I broke my second bone, my right wrist, about three weeks ago, falling off of a step ladder trying to help my daughter decorate her first teaching room. Refusing to admit that I might actually be hurt, I continued to use my good hand to help put up posters on the wall and borders around blackboards until the swelling got so bad, that we realized a trip to Immediate Care was inevitable. Funny how all the attributes of that super light, really portable step ladder that is easily transported from room to room, and is niftily folded and stored in the closet...those same attributes that made me buy it, are the same attributes that caused it to fold up, flip out from under me, and toss me to the floor (rump first). Since then, I have toted it out to the garage with one hand with the greatest of ease, swiftly folded it up, and tossed it in the garbage (rung first) never to speak of its portability again. Naturally, I couldn't allow a little something like a broken wrist to slow me down! Below is a picture of me the following night, singing my hard (cast) out! Notice the right arm in its permanently bent position!

Live at the Rodeo Opry
I've always been a big believer in the adage 'the show must go on'. As far back as college, it didn't matter how sick I was (or members of my band were), I expected all of them (including me) to show up for a gig, and play through whatever ailments we encountered. I can remember literally running off stage (is that why they call it the 'runs'?) in the middle of a song during the guitar solo at a gig we had at Bishop McGuinness High School, so that I could make it to the bathroom long enough to 'gather my wits' and stumble back to the mic to finish the song (and the set). In fact, as I was coming out of the stall, a kid washing his hands looked questioningly at me and asked, "Aren't you in the band?" as he listened to the loud music coming from the auditorium down the hall. I nodded my head to the affirmative as I 'ran' back to my place on stage.

That's why dutifully, Saturday night, with my cast barely 24 hours old, I stepped up to the mic and sang two songs for the Rodeo Opry Anniversary Show. Then early the following morning, I showed up to the church, and played our church's beautiful Steinway Grand Piano (with just my left hand).

We all have certain personality traits, that both define us and shape our behavior. At times, just like the step ladder that now sits in a landfill somewhere, the same traits (quirks) can be both positives and negatives. Take honesty, for instance. After all, it's said to be the 'best policy'. It's one of the Ten Commandments. Thou shalt not lie. When the 'truth' is in our favor, we welcome it. "Tell it like it is!" "You tell 'em, brother!" But when the 'truth' goes against us, we suddenly aren't as big a fan of it. Isn't that why we like shows like People's Court (in my day) or Judge Judy? Both parties think they're in the right; and we get to sit back and watch while at least one of the complainants (and sometimes both of them) are told they are in the 'wrong'! Why does America love to hate Simon Cowell? He tells the truth (or at least his version of it). His willingness and eagerness to openly point out singers' shortcomings, either endears us or reviles us. Same trait...different results.

My wife is honest. She honestly believes whenever I sing or lead worship, that it's wonderful (even when I played that Sunday with one hand tied behind my back). Now, certainly you want your mate to be a big fan...I can't imagine it being any other way. But if she tells you it's great, no matter how bad it is, she ceases to be a good barometer of what's transpiring. I, on the hand, stay acutely aware of every little mistake, every transition that could have been smoother, and any note that I didn't like (not necessarily a wrong note, but just not the one I wanted to sing or play) and so therefore, I see most performances as 'sub-par'; which in music is a BAD thing. On the other hand, in golf a sub-par performance is a great thing. Even if you didn't hit the ball well, or missed a lot of fairways, if you're sub-par, you're really good!

Sometimes 'really good' can translate into 'arrogance'. So, how about 'arrogance' on the golf course? I think Tiger Woods had a bunch of it (in his prime); a sense of 'invincibility'. Once he lost it, he became much more 'human', but much more 'defeatable'. What was good for his personal life (being humbled) hasn't been so good for his golf game. Many of the more aggressive traits, so lauded in the field of sports, and also rewarded in the corporate world tend to have more downside than upside.

"A Face In The Crowd" - Andy Griffith and Patricia Neal 
The film debut of Andy Griffith called "A Face In The Crowd" is still one of my favorite movies; and is a superb example of how certain traits, like 'arrogance' and 'invincibility' that can help you get ahead in life, can also come back to haunt and destroy you. Find a way to watch this movie if you've never seen it.

Another of my favorite flicks combined the 'arrogance' of a ship's captain, Quint, with a town's mayor who wouldn't accept the 'truth' about sharks. "Jaws" has a great character interaction out at sea late one night in the interior cabin of the boat between Quint, police chief Brody, and marine biologist Hooper, where the three are discussing/comparing their injuries, scars and breaks. The seriousness of the scene is 'broken' as Hooper points to his chest to indicate the scar left by Mary Ellen Moffett from a 'broken heart'. All of us who have seen this movie know that ultimately Quint's 'arrogance' comes back to bite him.

 As I alluded to earlier, I've had one other thing broken in my life (not counting broken hearts ;).


Seretean Center - OSU
I was in college, and we were having our dress rehearsal, the night before the opening of Godspell at OSU (where I played the dual role of John the Baptist and Judas). As the call was made for, "Places!", I bolted down the right aisle of the Seretean Center just as the lighting crew was adjusting the lights in the auditorium. They turned them off for just a second, and I misjudged (couldn't see) the last step at the bottom, landed with my heel on that last step, my toe on the floor, felt my ankle twist and the little bone on the side of my foot crack. The ankle and foot swelled instantly, and after a trip to the Infirmary doctor (who also happened to be the doctor for the football team), it was decided that all that could be done for the bone was to wrap it tightly with an Ace bandage, and send me back in the game! So, instead of the traditional tennis shoes I was planning to wear, I borrowed my roommate's combat boots that were about a size or two bigger than what I wore, laced them up, one fit tightly around my Ace bandage, the other with five pairs of socks on the unswollen right foot, and soft-shoed my part the next night like a pro. The only time that I truly felt the pain (over the meds) was the scene where (as Judas) I leave to betray Jesus. The scene called for me to run off the stage, slip and fall on the steps (I had already rehearsed that part), look back at Jesus and the disciples, then run on up the aisle out the back of the auditorium. I noticed about the third performance that I was pushing off with my left foot on that last sprint exit (ouch!). Once I corrected that, I was golden (drugged, but golden) for the full two week run of the production.

The refusal to let life (or circumstances) stop you or hold you back is a good trait. But it can lead to stubbornness and can be a little annoying. Kids can be like that. Once they learn how to do something, they'll holler, "Me do it! Me do it!" whether you want them to do it or not. When sick people won't let you take care of them and insist on doing everything themselves, not only does it further endanger their health, it robs someone of the blessing that comes from helping. Plus, if you're not at 100%, then why not allow others who ARE at their best (even if you think your 75% is better than their 100%) to step in and step up! In the final analysis, what I kind of already knew, but rediscovered with this most recent incident: there's just not much 'patient' in this patient!

So, what's the take-away from this break-away? Take your gifts, your abilities, your personality, and harness 'the way you are' in a way that pleases God and is most pleasant to those around you. Take your attitudes and make them attributes. For example, if you're a perfectionist, use it to raise your level of performance, but don't allow it to cause you to only see the imperfections or shortcomings in another person's performance. Others will not like being around you if they know they can never measure up. Also, allow yourself the freedom to enjoy what you do; even when it isn't perfect. We aren't expected to (nor can we) live a perfect life; but we should strive to live justly.

Or if you are proud about how truthful, straightforward and honest you can be, make sure you combine that truth with mercy, and administer your truth with grace. Time and time again the Bible combines them: truth and mercy, grace and truth; because they belong together.

He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.  Micah 6:8

That sounds like a pretty succinct recipe for good living to me. So what about your gifts; the things at which you excel? It's fine to be confident in your abilities; there's nothing wrong with being good at what you do. But the more humility you show, the more people will admire your abilities (rather than be put off by them). And if your humility causes your abilities or your performance to go unrecognized, don't worry about it. I would submit, though, they are rarely ever unnoticed and are probably discussed; just not with you. If you brag on your abilities (or are just really self-absorbed) then very few people will admire or acknowledge you. They won't need to because you've done it for them. Jesus told a great parable about 'recognition' that not only teaches a great lesson, but is really good advice regarding 'tooting your own horn'!

Luke 14:7-11
When Jesus noticed that all who had come to the dinner were trying to sit in the seats of honor near the head of the table, he gave them this advice: “When you are invited to a wedding feast, don’t sit in the seat of honor. What if someone who is more distinguished than you has also been invited? The host will come and say, ‘Give this person your seat.’ Then you will be embarrassed, and you will have to take whatever seat is left at the foot of the table. “Instead, take the lowest place at the foot of the table. Then when your host sees you, he will come and say, ‘Friend, we have a better place for you!’ Then you will be honored in front of all the other guests. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Confused-us says, "He who toots his own horn plays in a one-man band."

Shakespeare said, ""All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their exits and their entrances, and one man in his time plays many parts."

Arte* says, "It's not that 'the show must go on', the show does go on; and on and on."

In summary, as you pursue your role in life, and hopefully attempt to live justly, to show mercy and to be humble, the best advice I can give you is this: "BREAK A LEG!"

That's why He sent the messengers,
And He gave us the Law,
Then He showed up for questions,
And He answered 'em all,
He conquered the grave,
Completed His role,
In God's show.**

__________________________________________________________
*Arte = R.T. (aka: Randym Thoughts)
**Lyrics taken from "It's God's Show" from the CD "Red Letter Day"

No comments:

Post a Comment